According to the Center for Disease Control, each year in the United States more than 2000,000 women get breast cancer and more than 40,000 die from the disease. Other than skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women. Less than 1 % of breast cancer occurs in men. Women over the age of 50 are at a greater risk for breast cancer, but about 11% of new cases of breast cancer in the United States occur in women younger than 45 years of age. Most women who develop breast cancer have no known risk factors and no family history of the disease, though family history does increase your risk for breast cancer. Symptoms of breast cancer can include changes to the size or shape of your breast, pain in the breast and nipple discharge other than breast milk, including blood. A new lump in the breast or underarm is a symptom of breast cancer also. If you have any of these symptoms, contact your doctor immediately.
The United States Preventative Services Task Force recommends a screening mammogram every two years for women 50 to 74 years of age. Below are other ways you can reduce your risk of breast cancer.
- Keep a healthy weight.
- Exercise regularly (at least four hours a week).
- Get enough rest.
- Don’t drink alcohol, or limit alcoholic drinks to no more than one per day.
- Avoid exposure to chemicals that can cause cancer.
- Try to reduce your exposure to radiation during medical tests like mammograms, X-rays, CT scans, and PET scans.
- If you are taking, or have been told to take, hormone replacement therapy or oral contraceptives (birth control pills), ask your doctor about the risks and find out if it is right for you.
- Breastfeed your babies, if possible.
At Hudson & Castle, we approach each case ethically, honorably, and skillfully, beginning with a free consultation, continuing with the convenience of flexible appointments, and finally, charging you nothing unless we win or settle. We also handle cases on behalf of our clients who are Delaware residents but have been injured in nearby Pennsylvania. Please call Hudson & Castle at (302) 428-8800 (Monday-Friday, 8:30am- 5:00pm, ET) or contact us, and we will get back to you shortly to discuss your case.